The Township and the Landowners
of Crosthwaite and Lyth
from "Cameos of Crosthwaite and Lyth"
As a result of the Enclosures Acts most of the land in the valley went to the big landowners.
However, under the terms of the 1815 Heversham Award three parcels of land were made over to the
people of Crosthwaite and Lyth. These were the Township Allotment (155.3 hectares), the Township
Plantation (47.7 hectares) and the White Scar Quarry (6.75 hectares), all on Whitbarrow Scar.
It was recommended that a committee be set up to look after the land. The annual
general meeting could be attended by everyone in the parish but the voting power rested
with the landowners. Tenant farmers did not have voting rights.
The Landowners derive income from letting out land for grazing, selling
timber and from renting Whitbarrow Cottage, also in their ownershhip. From the 1930s stone from the quarry
made a small income but when contractors started building the new A590 road, a large amount
of shilla (small pieces of limestone) was sold. Money from this sale was invested and provides
an on-going income for the Landowners' charity. The quarry is now closed.
Recently the Landowners of Crosthwaite and Lyth have obtained charitable status
and the money has been used to support community projects.
The village school has benefited, as has the Recreation Committee.
Land was bought, drained, levelled and fenced to provide tennis courts, a bowling green,
a children’s playground and a small football pitch.
It was opened in 1995 and the Recreation Committee pay a peppercorn rent.
Nowadays the land is primarily managed to conserve its unique biological and geological character.
Along with the land on the Scar, owned by the Cumbria Wildlife Trust, the Landowners’ land
has been declared a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and also a Special Area of
Conservation (SAC) by the European Commission, which recognises that the limestone pavement,
scree slopes, ancient semi-natural and deciduous woodland are all of great importance.
The habitats supported by this area include rare and scarce plants and uncommon invertebrates,
particularly butterflies and moths. In pursuit of their aim to manage their land with high
regard for the significance of these habitats, the Landowners have recently added a small
area of woodland, near the quarry, for use as a nature reserve.
2015 our Bicentennial Year
In 2015 the Landowners had their 200th anniversary. To celebrate this milestone several tasks and events, as follows, were organised. Click on the links for the details.
The Heversham Award
A transcription of the Landowners Minutes from November 23rd 1857 to November 22nd 1910
The Bicentenary Picnic
A summary of charitable donations and payments made 1998 to 2014
A gallery of pictures taken in 2011 and 2012 of coppiced areas on the Township Plantation
Also included here are maps of our landholding (it was requested
to make this public at the AGM of 2011).
Township Allotment and Plantation
Whitbarrow quarry superimposed on a Google Earth Image
The properties of the Landowners are managed by a committee of Trusteees as follows (2015)
Chairman: Martin Casson
John Hartley Trotter
Agents: Carter Jonas
To contact the chairman e-mail to
Click below to downlown the minutes for previous AGM's.
Landowners AGM 2010
Landowners AGM 2011
Landowners AGM 2012
Landowners AGM 2013
Landowners AGM 2014
Landowners AGM 2015
Landowners AGM 2016 (draft)
The Landowners of Crosthwaite and Lyth
Registered Charity No: 1073467