St John's Church was built in 1726 from an endowment by John Jackson of nearby Holeslack Farm and so its isolated position owes much to proximity of the Farm which is down the track towards Sizergh Castle. The Church serves the village of Brigsteer at the bottom of the scar, but the Parish is called Helsington after the name of one of the twenty four townships which constituted the greater parish of Kendal. The Church was a daughter church of Kendal parish church. The parish now forms a part of the Two Valleys Team.
There are some interesting features in the church principally a mural painted at the east end in 1919 just after the 1st world war by Miss Saumarez. The mural is effectively a war memorial reflecting the post war desolation in borrowing from the view outside to depict a scene of mountains, the river and sea and kneeling angels in prayer. The altar frontal is uniquely decorated with tooled leather panels. The wooden panelling and pulpit in the chancel were part of the 1908 restoration of the church. At the back of the church is the chamber organ made by Samuel Renn of Manchester c1845 which has a high quality mahogany case and matching lyre ended stool. It was purchased for the church for £35 in 1902. Click here for a full specification.
Our part time priest is Rev’d Simon Howard (07719889577), . Please contact him about any personal concerns or urgent pastoral needs.
For baptism, wedding, and funeral enquiries concerning All Saints', Underbarrow and St. John's, Helsington please contact:
Church Administrator: Janet Sullivan or 01539 730683
The church building is currently closed. Services in the parish are held at All Saints Underbarrow. Please click on the link in the "services" panel for further details.
For mid-week groups and other church activities and joint events within the team see the church notice board, Sunday notice sheet and parish magazine or visit our website at https://allsaintsandstjohns.org